Dreaming of a Luxury Home? Now's the Time!If your house no longer fits your needs and you are planning on buying a luxury home, now is a great time to do so! Recently, the Institute for Luxury
5 Sweet Tax Deductions When Selling A Home
1. Selling cost. That's right, you can deduct selling costs like marketing, agent's commission, staging cost, escrow fees, and legal fees.
2. Home repairs and improvements. If you renovated, painted or upgraded your home before selling, you can deduct the cost of it. Make sure though that it was done within 90 days of the closing.
3. Property taxes. You can deduct the property taxes for the time you owned the property. With the new 2018 law the deduction amount is capped at $10,000.
4. Mortgage interest. You can write off the interest on your mortgage for the time you owned the property. As before the cap for the mortgage interest was on the debt of 1 million dollars, then the new 2018 tax law caps it at the debt owed of $750,000.
5. Moving expenses. If you sold your home in 2017 because of job related move, you can write off the expenses of that move. New 2018 tax law eliminates that deduction for all other than active members of armed forces.
6. Lastly, although its not a deduction but rather exclusion. Capital gains, which is any profit made after you sold your home and paid all the expense including the debt of the mortgage, is considered as income and therefore taxed. Filing single, you can exclude up to $250,000 of capital gains and up to $500,000 if filing as married. You must have lived at the house 2 out of the 5 years for that exclusion to apply.
To see what your home would sell for text Evelin to 85377 or call Evelin Kahre 720-297-0823
Evelin Kahre moved to Denver, Colorado from the small country of Estonia in 1998. She has lived in Denver Metro area for the past 20 years and witnessed the area become one of the most desirable place....
Latest Blog Posts
Tomorrow is the first day of Spring! If you've been holding out for spring to list your home, NOW IS DEFINITELY THE TIME to call me. Last month, in February 2018, for the first time ever the average
Original post By Adriana Velez | Mar 8, 2018MariuszBlach/iStockAre there tax deductions when selling a home? You bet—and they can amount to sizable savings when you file
Moving up Is MORE Affordable Now Than Almost Any Other Time in 40 YearsIf you are considering selling your current home, to either move up to a larger home or into a home in an area that better